Monday, January 16, 2012

January Theme Dinner- A Red Carpet Event



It is that time again! Theme dinner night!!! I struggled with what to do for the month of January. I want our theme dinners this year to be different than the typical holiday theme of the month. Sunday afternoon I realized the Oscars were coming on TV so I decided to do "movie night". We went to RedBox and rented 4 movies. Then we spent most of Sunday being lazy and watching movies. Once dinner time came, I started decorating for our movie night.



I had some help from Elia rolling out the red carpet.


The girls thought the red carpet was the most fun! Of course, they had to walk it a couple hundred times. Cami had come over to play while we were getting ready so all three girls had a blast playing movie star!

Elia was a "gangster":


Ava was a "princess":


And Cami was a "cowgirl":


Then Miley had to get in on the act:


After several walks down the red carpet and lots of laughs, it was time to start dinner. I found this recipe in a cookbook. It is called Tortilla Lasagna.


First I had to cut up a zucchini, onions, and tomatoes (shocking, I know!). Then I mixed it all together.



Next, I added black beans which Elia helped mix together.


Then I mixed the salsa and the southwest sour cream. I put a layer of the sour cream mixture. Then a layer of tortillas. Then a layer of the bean and veggie mixture. After that came cheese. I repeated the layering several times.


Here is the finished product:


Kevin, Elia, and I thought it was very good. However, Ava had a completely different opinion about the food. I made her take at least one bite to try it, and this was the outcome:


After we cleaned up from dinner, we finished watching our movies and enjoyed dessert which was popcorn of course!!!



Stay tuned for our theme dinner next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment