Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!


I have to be honest and say I am not a fan of this day as a teacher because the kids are bursting with excitement from the moment they walk through the door in the morning. It can make for a long day for teachers. Of course, the kids have a blast exchanging Valentine's cards and eating cupcakes! I think my favorite part about this day, as a mom and a teacher, are the Valentine's cards the kids pass out to each other. I think it is so cute how my own kids spend 20 minutes at Target picking out just the right cards. This year, Elia chose Angry Birds and Ava chose Kung Fu Panda. I also love how they spend hours trying to decide which card to give to which friend. My students also love passing out their Valentines to each other. It is serious business in a 2nd grade classroom! My students spend about 30 minutes decorating their bags with just the right paper hearts and stickers. They take such pride in their bags and they are so fun to watch. I think it is the innocence and simplicity of Valentine's cards and bags that I love so much!

Kevin and I like to get the girls a little something on Valentine's Day. This year we got them a Club Penguin Puffle, some art books, and some candy. Elia's favorite candy is her Reese's heart and Ava's favorite is her heart shaped Peeps.




Kevin got me a box of chocolates. I got him some Reese's and a framed wordle. I had never heard of wordles before I read a teacher friend's blog. The website is wordle.net and they are completely free and easy to create. I entered words that mean a lot to us. Then I clicked print. I bought a cheap frame at Fred's and had a nice but inexpensive gift for my hubby!



Of course, you can't forget the teachers on a day like today. I hit the dollar spot at Target and found some cute boxes with matching notepads. I put them in the box along with some candy, a candle, and a gift card to Starbucks. Hopefully, the girls' teachers will enjoy their goodies!



No comments:

Post a Comment