Monday, September 23, 2013

The Turtle Always Wins the Race

So, lately all I have been hearing from people is "I can't believe YOU are running that many miles!" or "How did YOU get this far with running?"  I am not sure if I should take these questions as compliments or not.  HA!  I thought I would post a blog about my running adventures so I could answer some of the questions I have been asked the past couple of months.

When and how did I start running?  
I started running with Courtney's LiveFit running group back in April.  I will never forget the first group run.  I literally thought I was going to throw up.  I was so nervous.  I remember we had to run 1 minute and then walk a minute and a half for ten times!  I remember not being able to breath and waiting anxiously for my interval timer to beep so I could walk and catch my breath.

What is the best thing about running?
I have 2 favorite parts of my runs.  The first is during a long run when you can no longer hear your feet hitting the pavement.  When I first start out, my feet are so heavy, and I feel like I am literally pounding the pavement.  It usually takes about 3 miles but I start getting into a rhythm where I feel like I could run forever and my feet feel light as air. 
My second favorite part of a run is the end of the run.  HA!  Seriously, it is a great feeling to finish running several miles and be covered in sweat and to know you pushed your body farther than you thought you could go.

What is the worst thing about running?
The worst thing is the first mile.  It is painful!

How long am I running now?  
Right now I am up to 7 miles for my long runs.  I still can't believe I am running over an hour straight without stopping.  During the week, I am running 4 miles.  Of course, these will go up as I get closer and closer to the St. Jude half marathon.  I will eventually run 11 miles for my long run.  However, I will not run the entire 13 miles until race day!

What time of day do you like to run?
For those of you who know me well, know I am NOT a morning person.  Nowhere close actually.  So it may surprise you that my favorite time to run is before the sun comes up.  There are a couple of good reasons for this.  The first reason is that running in the morning does not give me time to change my mind or make excuses about why I cannot run that day.  I just get up and do it.  My brain is still asleep so it is not even knowing what I am about to do to my body.
The second reason I like running before the rooster crows is because it is dark and no one can see me.  I am sure I am not a pretty sight when I run.  I will spare you the ugly details, but I like running when the rest of the world is asleep.

How have I stayed motivated to keep running?
This is an easy one.  Courtney Barnes!  She is my running coach, and I never would have started this journey without her.  
The other thing that has helped me stay motivated is having accountability.  It is easy to turn the alarm off when you are running alone.  However, if you have a group of girls waiting on you, you are more likely to get up and run.

So, for all of my friends out there, BELIEVE IT!  I AM RUNNING!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment