Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Guatemala Bound- 2 Babies and a Bird



My big story started with 2 babies and a bird. You can read more about how that all fits into being Guatemala bound in previous posts.


Anyway, we leave in 2 days for the beautiful country of Guatemala to do God's work. This will be our 8th trip there in 8 years.

The days leading up to traveling to Guatemala always give me mixed feelings. I always get that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I have to leave my girls for 8 days. Then I get a different sick feeling about the idea of being on a plane. Of course, that is something that a little medication can help with. Then I start having those crazy fears about what could happen while we are in Guatemala. (I won't go there since my mom will read this.) Once I start having all those fears, I hear the voice of God speaking to me. He always reassures me that this is His plan for me right now, and He will protect me and my team during our travels there and back. Then my attention turns to what God's plan is for us and the people of Guatemala on this trip.

The thing that amazes me the most is that the people there have a life story just like mine with my 2 babies and a bird. God is working in their lives, and they each have a story to tell as well. Their stories are usually quite different from mine, yet they are still the same.

They have children they love with all their heart. Yet, their children don't wear clothes from the Gap.


They have a house they like to clean and keep tidy. Yet, their house is the size of our current back patio we are enlarging.


They have responsibilities to take care of such as washing clothes. Yet, they wash all their clothes by hand and hang to dry.

They have food to cook for their families each day. Yet, they only eat tortillas which they make by hand and cook in an enclosed kitchen causing lung disease.


They have bathrooms to keep clean. Yet, they must use an outhouse and a hole in the ground.

They make sure their children get feed with snacks throughout the day. Yet, they must rely on feeding centers to provide nutrition to their children they do not get from home.

They go to the tienda to get the basic needs for their family. Yet, they do not have cars to travel in or bags to carry their purchases in.

They put their children to bed every night. Yet, their child's bed consists of a wooden board on blocks covered by a hand made blanket. If they are not so lucky, their bed is a dirt floor.


So, I ask myself these questions:
Can I leave my children for 8 days for all of this?
Can I board that plane 4 separate times for take offs and landings?
Can I risk being in an earthquake or dealing with pick pockets while in Antigua?

The answer is an easy one! YES, YES, and YES!!!

One a lighter note, since this story started with 2 babies, could it possible end with 2 babies?

LOL! If only God were making that part of my life story as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment