Sunday, August 14, 2011

August Theme Dinner-Elvis!!!



The month of August has arrived so it is time for our August theme dinner. I really struggled with which theme to go with this month. The obvious choice would have been a "Back to School" theme. However, it would have been difficult to decorate and cook for that kind of theme. After a lot of thinking, I was at a complete loss about what to do for August until I saw the evening news. They were talking about it being Elvis tribute week which is when Graceland honors Elvis during the week of his death. How perfect!!! I have a little Elvis fan here at my house. It was about two years ago when Elia took a real liking to Elvis. We even had to take her to Graceland, and she soaked up every minute of it.

I was not able to buy our decorations at the Dollar Store because I needed something with a rock and roll theme so I had to spend a little extra money on decorations at the party store.


The menu for our Elvis theme dinner included:

* Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches
* Peanut Butter Pie

To make the peanut butter and banana sandwiches, I started with butter, peanut butter, bananas, and bread.


First, you mash the bananas in a bowl.


Then you spread peanut butter on one side of your bread.


Next you spread the mashed banana onto the other side of your bread.


While you are doing this, you can heat up and melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet.


Once the butter is melted, you put your two slices of bread together and cook it like a grilled cheese sandwich.


Last, dinner is served!!!!

Elia, even though an Elvis fan, was not a fan of his favorite meal. She did not want her picture taken with such a frowny face about what she was eating. On the other hand, Ava loved her dinner!
I think the dessert was the best part of the night. I was not sure what Elvis' favorite dessert was so I assumed it had to be something related to peanut butter. I wish I could say I made this yummy pie, but it was purchased at the Kroger bakery.


Of course, Elia loved the dessert! (Still no picture!)


Now that dinner and dessert has been eaten and the kitchen is cleaned up, it is time for a movie night with none other than a collection of Elvis movies!!!


Stay tuned for September's theme dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment