Monday, May 20, 2013

1st 5K- Lessons Learned

I ran my first 5K on May 5.  It was actually my 2nd race, but my first one was about 10 years ago so I count this one as my first.  There were lots of lessons learned from running the past 7 weeks and running this 5K.

Lesson #5
PACE YOURSELF- I had been running for about 7 weeks when I ran this race.  About 10 seconds before they blew the horn to start running, my running coach said to me "Whatever you do, don't go super fast for the first mile!"  I think that advice went in one ear and out the other.  Actually, I heard every word she said, but my adrenaline was going and I got caught up in the excitement.  When I got to mile one I heard "8 minutes, 41 seconds".  I about flipped out.  All I could think about was how on earth I was going to finish this race.  I ended up slowing down A LOT, and finishing the race in 33 minutes and 59 seconds!  I don't think I will make that mistake again!

Lesson #4
RACE PICTURES ARE NOT PRETTY!- I made Kevin promise to take my picture as I crossed the finish line.  Once I saw them, I made him promise to delete the pictures of me crossing the finish line!  There is nothing uglier than things bouncing around and hair pushed all back while sweating like a hot pig!

Lesson #3
THE FIRST MILE IS ALWAYS THE HARDEST- Ok, so obviously this lesson doesn't apply to this race.  However, I have learned that the first mile is not much fun.  It takes a little while to loosen those muscles and really enjoy the run.  About halfway through that first mile and the start of mile 2, I am feeling great and feel like I can take on anything!!

Lesson #2
RUNNING IS FREE THERAPY!- I have completely surprised myself at how much I have enjoyed running these past several weeks.  I think my favorite time of day to run is at 5am when the rest of the world is asleep.  The world is quiet and you can actually hear the birds chirping.  I know that sounds kind of silly but it is good stuff.  It gives me several minutes in the morning all to myself!

Lesson #1
I AM A RUNNER!- I can remember when our running group first started.  Courtney had us run a minute and walk a minute and a half.  I remember wondering if I could even run a minute without stopping.  Now I am running ten minutes without stopping!  That first minute is a piece of cake now.  I look ahead at this journey and wonder how I am going to be able to run a half marathon in December.  Then I think back to that 1 minute I didn't think I could run!!  That one minute is a constant reminder that I can accomplish anything I want to accomplish!

A picture of Courtney and me right before the race:


My view from the starting line:


My results:




1 comment: