Sunday, December 1, 2013

Half Marathon Training

Well, the big race is less than a week away.  My official training started back in August, and I can't believe how far I have come.  I can't believe I woke up at 4am to run miles and miles in the freezing cold and even the rain.  I can't believe I kept going when I felt like giving up.  I can't believe I ran up hills and down every street in the town of Arlington.  My training has brought on more aches and pains that I could have ever imagined.  For starters, I actually burned myself while running in 25 degree weather.  I had my light clipped to my shirt since it was so early and dark out.  The cold made it impossible to feel the burn the light was creating on my neck.  Now I have a nice scar to show for it.


My two worst fears during my training was #1- that I would get hurt and #2- that it would be cold and raining on the day of the race.  Let's start with #1.  I was doing my very last long run before the race.  It was supposed to be 11 miles.  I made it to mile 7 when I stopped to refuel.  Once I started going again, I literally could not put one foot in front of the other.  My dad had to drive me home and then I had to make the drive of shame to Campbell's Clinic where the doctor said I have a stress fracture in my leg.  I was not a pretty sight, but the nurse there sure made my day when she referred to me as "a runner"! 


I cried and cried the entire way home thinking my worst fear of an injury happened.  They gave me a boot and some crutches.  

I did enjoy having Kevin push me around in a wheelchair at Sam's and at the mall.  There is no better way to shop.


Three days later I had an MRI which showed NO STRESS FRACTURE!!!  That was the good news.  The bad news is that I still cannot run on this leg.  I am still not sure what the problem could be but I do go back to the doctor Tuesday to hopefully get a diagnosis and some relief.  

Now on to my worst fear #2.  I just checked the forecast for race day and it is showing the high to be 30 degrees with a chance of rain and snow.  I can handle some pretty white stuff but I cannot handle the rain and the cold.  

Given that my two biggest fears have come true, one might think I would opt to stay home in my warm cozy bed Saturday morning and rest this leg.  WRONG!  I did not train for months and months and get up at 4am and run day after day just to lay in a warm bed.  My plan is to cross that finish line no matter if they have to drag me across in 4 feet of snow.  I WILL FINISH THE 13.1 MILES!!!!  I think this running quote says it all:


Of course, I could not have done any of this without the help, love, support, encouragement and prayers of my running coach, Courtney Barnes.  She is one awesome lady!  


I also could not have done it without the help and support of the LiveFit running group.  They are one awesome group of ladies!  I love them!!


So whether I run or have to walk across the finish line, due to this injury, come Saturday morning, I will finish and you will see my car with the 13.1 sticker driving around Arlington!  I will finish what I started!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment